Tuesday, March 12, 2024

CST 338 - Week 2

 Jotto

For this week, we spent the majority of the time working on Jotto and related assignments. The hardest part of this project was getting used to following someone else's organization. In previous classes, my assignments have all been generally open-ended in the sense that if you achieved the same final result, you were able to organize the project as you wished. Sometimes there were guidelines for specific functions, but how you implemented and called each method was completely up to you. I found myself reading and re-reading the instructions to understand what exactly I was meant to be doing with each step in this project. It will definitely take some practice for me to get confident with this type of setup.

The assignment in general wasn't too hard. The one issue I did have was with the unit test for showPlayerGuesses. I was passing it fine until I added the section regarding the player updating the wordList. I thought that the "press 'enter' to continue" was included at the end of each method, when it was instead intending to be part of the menu setup in play(). None of the other unit tests had checked for this, so I didn't figure out my mistake until I was testing this method. Once I figured that out, I solved the problem immediately and the program worked as intended. 

Overall, this assignment was great practice for me to get used to unit testing and debugging in Java/intelliJ. I had very minimal Java experience before this class, so these skills will prove valuable for me in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment